Monday, January 21, 2013

9999 views

Pretty cool.  1 short of 10,000 views on my blog. I think that is neat, but it makes me feel like I should be offering something more important too.  hum...maybe a recipe Here is one taken from Etsy for grapefruit marmalade..we all need citrus in the Great White North.

How-Tuesday: Grapefruit Jam

Etsy.com handmade and vintage goods

Wander into a sunny oasis of winter flavors in this week’s How-Tuesday post by Marissa McClellan, author of the blog, Food in Jars, and the cookbook, Food in Jars: Preserving in Small Batches Year-Round.
January can be a cruel month for jam makers. Summer berries are a distant memory, and the peaches and plums of early autumn have been gone for months. Even hardy storage apples and pears have begun to lose their appeal.
Fear not, canners! There’s no need to hang up the preserving pan. Instead, turn to citrus to satisfy your urge to simmer, stir and put up. Though I make all manner of curds, marmalades and preserved lemons this time of year, my secret favorite is a quick grapefruit jam. It takes the bright, astringent flavor of a ruby red and softens it with sugar and heat. The finished product is sweet, tart and just slightly edgy.
I like it best stirred into creamy Greek yogurt or spooned atop freshly baked scones (grate some zest into the scone dough to complement the jam).
You Will Need:
8 large red grapefruit (approximately 4 pounds)
2 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
1 yard cheesecloth, folded
A wide, non-reactive pan (5 quarts or larger)
Yield: 4 half pints
Directions:
1. Start by supreming the grapefruit. Do this by cutting off the top and bottom of the fruit. Then, working from north pole to south, cut the rind off the fruit (you want to expose the interior surface of the fruit).
2. When rind is entirely removed, use the knife to separate the fruit from the membrane. Take care to collect the naked fruit sections and their juice in a large bowl.
3. While you separate the fruit from the membranes, take care to set aside all the seeds you find. Once you’ve finished breaking down the fruit, bundle those seeds up in the cheesecloth. They give the jam the pectin it needs to set up.
4. Once all the fruit is sectioned out, pour it into a large, non-reactive pot and add the sugar and the cheesecloth bundle containing the seeds. Stir until the sugar begins to dissolve.
5. Turn the heat to high and bring the fruit mixture to a boil. Cook at a bubble, stirring regularly, until the jam reaches 220 degrees and passes the plate/sauce/wrinkle test (remove the pot from the heat source while you’re testing to prevent scorching).
6. When the jam passes a set test, pour into clean, hot jars. Apply lids and rings and process in a boiling water bath for ten minutes. If you’re not familiar with the ins-and-outs of the canning process, my friend has terrific step-by-step canning 101 post, and, of course, I go into this in depth in my book.
Want to skip the canning step? Simply pour the jam into clean jars and keep it in the fridge. It will keep at least a month this way.
7. When time is up, remove jars from canner and let them cool on a folded kitchen towel. When jars are cool to the touch, remove rings and test seals. Store sealed jars in a cool, dark place. Any unsealed jars should be refrigerated and used first.

For something more original I will look for one of my great scone recipes!!
 


ago

  • handmadecoffee
  •  
  • whateverworks
  • SoftForest

  • KMalinka
    Very good recipe! I will make with grapefruit:O)

  • AlfredRedmond1
    yummy, can I taste :)

  • artistaq8
    Artista from ArtistaQ8 says:
    Looks delicious! Thank you for the recipe <3 p="p">
  • mattyhandmadecrafts
  • TheStitchAndFold
    Looks yummy even though I am not a fan of grapefruit!

  • mazedasastoat
    Marmalade on toast, the quintessentially English breakfast!

  • JennysTreasuresForU
    Never thought of this,sounds good!I rarely like to eat grapefruit,unless I peel the inner skin on it as well,and then it's really good.

  • pancakeandlulu
    thank you for this inspiration! I love grapefruit and orange marmalade, so this is a must-try.

  • LivingJewellery
    it looks and sounds like grapefruit marmalade. Whats the difference between jam and marmalade ?

  • azki
    Jehan from azki says:
    this looks so delicious!!

  • jlmuscato
    jlmuscato says:
    A box of grapefruits are sitting in the kitchen with no hopes of being eaten on time - BINGO! Thank you!

  • hasincla
    I have yet to try canning, but it's on my list of things to try and skills to acquire. This delicious-looking jam might just give me the push I need to get down to it! Thanks for posting!

  • SallysVintageKitchen
    This jam looks delicious! Thank you for sharing this grapefruit jam recipe!

  • polkyanddot
    Lynda from polkyanddot says:
    Sounds wonderful! love red grapefruit! Not sure if my pan is non reactive?

  • ohhsocrafty
    Joanie from ohhsocrafty says:
    Yummm! Haven't made any jam/preserves in a while. Might be time to pick it up again! This looks delightful!

  • TheWeirdGirlWorkshop
    MUCH easier than doing a marmalade- thanks for reminding us canners that citrus can be for jams too!

  • StillVintage
    This just sounds delicious and the color is fantastic. I guess the first step is to buy the most lovely grapefruit

  • rosebudsvintage
    Yummy, Thanks for the beautiful photos & recipe, cannot wait to try it. Love grapefruit. The suggestion from Diva Mirel is just what I needed since I'm right now too busy to do boiling sterilizing so suggested just put jars in oven, Love it!

  • LittleCottonStudio
    Sounds delicious! I love grapefruit, and can't wait to try!

  • MaruMaru
    MaruMaru from MaruMaru says:
    looks delicious!

  • inturquoisesky
    asu from THEFAIRYTHINGS says:
    Great.. Thanks...

  • bluecrystallady
    I love orenge jam, but didn't try grapefruit... It looks delicious... Thanks...

  • HomeMadebyRivka
    Very fun article, great way to bring attention to jam making. Very surprised and proud to see my jam listed as a related item!

  • PinesVintageClothing
    Pine from TheRakishTilt says:
    Yum..this looks so good!

  • JasmineStore
    Emel from gloveshop says:
    Beautiful !!!!!!!!

  • somethinglikehome
    So yummy! I love grapefruit and never thought of making jam out of it.

  • HandiworkinGirls
    This looks delicious! Haven't heard of grapefruit jam before, but we have made marmalade. I think this is a must-try; wouldn't want those jam-making skills to get rusty before the strawberries are ripe!

  • aressa
    I just keep imagining how bitter grapefruit is to me..It would be hard for me to try this....

  • elleestpetite
    I never thought to make a grapefruit jam. Looks so good!

  • LittleWrenPottery
    I can never decide if I like grapefruit or not, its a bit like marmalade you either love it or don't!

  • poplovedesigns
    Looks absolutely delicious! Can't say I've ever been a huge fan of grapefruit, (except for ruby red sprinkled with sugar) but I'll be the whole canning process would be tons of fun! *Sigh* too bad I spend all my free time sewing...

  • edwardsandlace
    Wow this looks AMAZING...

  • Iammie
    iammie from iammie says:                            
  •  




    No comments:

    Follow Me on Pinterest

    Popular Posts

    handmade

    Make It And Love It